ASUS, this week at CES 2019, has unveiled its successor to the popular Chromebook flip C302. The next-generation ASUS Chromebook Flip C434. Building on the strengths of the C302, which is respected as one of the best chromebooks currently on the market, the C434 improves in many key areas. This is probably the next chromebook that is worth waiting for, unless you want to see what the Pixelbook 2 will be all about, but that is another story, for another time.
Powering the C434 is an Intel® Core™ i7-8500Y processor that is backed up to a max 8GB of RAM with 128GB storage – depending on chosen configuration. Don’t worry if this amount of storage might not appeal to you, as you also have MicroSD support with up to 2TB storage. It will be Interesting to see how Apps access this external storage. This is something that your Pixelbook can not offer. The unit is only 15.7-mm thick and weighs 1.45kg with an impressive set of features.
On the go you might want to type and this is where the keyboard comes in (duh). This is a full sized keyboard with 1.4mm of key travel and is backlit for working late. It is very similar to the legendary C302. Like its predecessor you can use a 360 degrees hinge to turn it into tablet or tent mode.
For connectivity we have Dual-band 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0. Let us talk ports now: There are two USB Type-C (USB-C) ports and also the inclusion of a standard USB Type-A port. The screen utilises ASUS NanoEdge display technology to squeeze a 14″ Full HD touchscreen display into a 13” chassis.
You have two speakers built into the base of the unit, but you also have the option of using the audio combo jack for video calls or listening to music. Privacy is not a dirty word here. Lol.
Asus Chromebook C434 Specs
- Intel Core M3-8100Y, 2C/4T, 1.1GHz (4MB cache, up to 3.4GHz)
- Intel Core i5-8200Y, 2C/4T, 1.3GHz (4MB cache, up to 3.9GHz)
- Intel Core i7-8500Y, 2C/4T, 1.5GHz (4MB cache, up to 4.2GHz)
- 14” LED-backlit IPS NanoEdge display, 1920 x 1280 with
- Display with only 5mm bezels and 360-degree hinge
- Up to 8GB LPDDR3
- Up to 128GB eMMC
- MicroSD card reader, 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0
- Two USB Type-C ports, one USB Type-A port (all ports are USB 3.1)
- Backlit keyboard and multi-touch trackpad
- HD webcam, presumably 720p based on the lack of a “FullHD” mention
- 48 WHr battery, no announced battery time at the moment.
- 3.2 pounds
The Chromebook Flip C434 uses lightweight aluminum in its construction, which keeps it lighter than a metal alternative. Apparently, there is NO stylus support for the C434, which may or may not be a deal breaker for you. What Asus do get right is a balance between price to performance. The Chromebook Flip C434 is expected to launch with a starting price of around $569 in late spring 2019.