As promised previously by JollaMobile, the SailFish OS SDK has been released today and in doing so paves the road for developers to bring their applications to a real open source operating system that is built on the heritage of the proven MeeGo™ technology with its core coming from the Mer Project.
The UI is built with QML and Qt Quick. This enables fast and easy customization of the UI and further development of partner specific screens with fast and easy to use development tools.
The Sailfish OS brings forward the promise of innovation to offer unique differentiation and a competitive advantage for OEMs and ODMs, chipset providers, operators, application developers and retailers.
The Sailfish OS is a mobile-optimized operating system that has the flexibility, ubiquity and stability of the Linux core with a cutting edge user experience built with the renowned Qt™ platform.
What are you waiting for ???? Get the toolkit
Run your first application
The SDK comes with a handy SailfishOS application template that gives you a quick way to create your very first Sailfish OS application.
Just go to File-> New File or Project in the IDE
Alpha SDK Release Notes
This is the first release of the SailfishOS SDK. It introduces the development environment for creating applications for the Sailfish operating system.
This release supports Linux distributions only. It includes installers for both 32 and 64 bit Linux operating systems. It has been verified on the following flavours of Linux:
- Ubuntu 12.10
- Fedora 18
The SDK should work on other Linux flavours as well, but at this stage, its functionality on other host environments has not been fully verified.
The SailfishOS SDK
- A host machine running a Linux operating system
- Oracle’s VirtualBox version 4.18 or higher pre-installed on the host machine. You should install the VirtualBox supplied by your distribution.
- About 5GB of free disk space
- 4GB of RAM or more is recommended
SailfishOS SDK is a collection of tools for developing SailfishOS applications. It includes:
- QtCreator integrated development environment (IDE)
- Mer build engine for cross compilation
- The SailfishOS Emulator
- Tutorial, Design and API Documentation
- Repositories for additional libraries and open source code
This release provides the following programming interfaces.
- Sailfish Silica Qt Quick components 1.0
- Standard Qt Quick components 1.1
- QtMobility 1.2
- QtWebKit 2.2
The SailfishOS SDK known issues page records the issues in this release and will be kept updated.